Here's the deal

On February 4, 2012 Wesley was in a skiing accident and broke his neck. He is 16 years old and is planning to graduate high school this year. There are not many 16 year old boys as amazing as he is. He is kind, thoughtful, and good date on his progress. I will make sure Wesley gets to read every comment this blog receives. My siblings and I will try to keep this blog current.

The Story from Dad's point of view (as written on the blog so far)

My name is Ryanne. I am Wesley's oh so devoted sister ( ;
To write this story I have been reading my Dad's journal. I have an amazing family. I am sure you will notice how brave and valiant my brother is.

Dad and Wes woke up at 6:45AM so they could meet the rest of the Priests at the church by 7:30AM to go skiing at Moonlight basin. The priest quorum has made this an annual activity and is one of their favorites. They went down the road a little bit and picked up Jacoby. Wes realized he forgot his contacts so they headed back to the house to get those. They were then on their way. They had to pick up Paul on the way. Because they were running so late they called the other leader, Dave, and told him to go ahead and start on their way.

As they traveled to Moonlight Basin the listened to a recording about the life of Porter Rockwell. The boys enjoyed listening to that. The weather was awesome- a bright, cloudless, sunny day.

The boys were anxious to hit the slopes. The boys all had a good time skiing together. Wes enjoyed skiing through the trees. After skiing several runs, they decided to play at the terrain park, where there are jumps and obstacles. The boys all went off the first jump. Nothing but smiles. The next jump was bigger and Dad went down to make sure no one was in the way. They had seen someone they didn't know go over it too slow so Wes made sure he had more speed as he approached the jump.

Dad said, "I could not tell who was coming first or how fast they were going. I was concerned and my heart paused when I saw Wesley flying through the air going much too fast and at least 12 to 15 feet off the ground. The snow was very hard and packed and there was no powder or soft snow to be found under or below the jump. The speed at which Wes was going and the angle of the jump caused Wes to tilt back. He was inexperienced at taking a jump like this at such a fast speed. He hit the ice like concrete on his back and neck, taking the full impact there. His skis and poles immediately went flying. He slid 50 or 60 yards on his back and then during the slid hit a bump that rolled him to his stomach. He came to a stop face down in the snow. In just a few seconds I was very near him. His arms and legs were spread apart and face down in the snow. I was going to stop and  get his skis and poles. As I stopped I notice he was not moving. I yelled to him asking if he was alright. He did not move but I heard him say no. I left his skis and poles and got to him as quickly as I could. He said ,"Dad, I can't move my arms or my legs." His face was laying fown in the snow. I took off my gloves and very tenderly dug the snow out from under his chin and face and then I put my hands under his chin and face to protect him from the snow. Because he could not feel his arms or legs I knew we were dealing with a very serious injury. We could not roll him or move him in any way. I really did not think through this process, I just knew it as a matter of fact. while my mind was racing, I was brought back to reality by Wesley, who within seconds of his crash said, "Dad, you need to give me a blessing." My mind was shocked back into reality. The here and now. I knew that was the next thing I needed to do. Some of our boys were at the top of the jump, blocking it so no one would jump off and land on us. I found out later that by the ski patrol that arrived first on the scene had been on the ski lift and had seen the accident and immediately ordered a board to be sent up. He was the first to get to us. So, a few seconds had gone by since the accident and Wes was asking for a blessing. His mind was sharper than mine. Without his reminder it would have taken me 5 or 10 minutes to come to that conclussion. He is a young man of great faith. There was no one to assist me and I did not have any oil.  In my mind, I did not worry about any of this. I removed my hat, put my hand on Wesley's head and pronounced a very short but powerful inspired blessing. I am grateful that he and I were worthy and had sufficient faith to give a blessing like this. It is amazing the calming effect that this blessing had on me and Wesley. I was definitely inspired to pronounce that everything would be fine for Wes. Within 5 or 6 minutes the ski patrol that had seen the accident arrived. We waited a few minutes for the rest of the rescue team. During this time Wes was very calm and patient. When the team arrived they immediately called for an ambulance to come up from Big Sky. The first aid team was extremely careful in handling Wes and getting him on a back board. They knew they were dealing with a serious injury. I was very impressed with their skills, gentleness, and kindness. We followed them down the mountain and I was able to give Wes a kiss before they took him to the hospital. I followed about 10 minutes behind them to the Bozeman hospital."

Wesley never lost consciousness. He was awake every moment and aware of the situation. He was conscious as he hit the ice with incredible force. He was conscious as they cut through his brand new ski gear. Yesterday I neglected to write that the bindings on one of the skis had rotated 180 degrees as a result of the impact.

The ambulance crew was very professional and made sure Wes was secure and stable. They called Bozeman hospital ahead of time so they would be prepared to care for Wes.

At this point Dad followed was driving towards the hospital as well. His heart was heavy with concern for Wes. As he put it, "I wished with all my heart that I could trade places with him, throughout the whole ordeal this would not be the only time I had this thought." He had no cell phone reception driving through canyons and mountains so it gave him time to think. As he thought of who to call first, he was pained with the thought of telling Karen. It seemed to rip his heart apart. Calling one of the other children first seemed like a good way to prepare to tell her. He tried to reach several but no one answered. Finally, he spoke with Nate. He says,"As I explained the seriousness of Wes' injuries I was overcome with emotion and could hardly speak. I told him what I planned to tell Karen and made him promise not to say anything." Sharing the situation with a family member seemed to make his burden lighter. My dad has repeatedly told me how thankful he is for our family and the strength and unity we have. Dallin called him back soon after that, and he explained everything for a second time. Again, his burden seemed lighter. Dad prayed constantly as he drove and in between his conversations with Nate and Dallin. He says, "I prayed as I never have before. There is a different dimension to prayer when someone's life is on the line, and for Wesley's life, I would gladly trade my life for his if possible."

The drive from Moonlight Basin to the hospital was approximately 90 minutes.When Dad was about 60 minutes from Bozeman he called Mom. He knew that she had planned to spend the afternoon shopping and looking in small shops in town. When she answered the phone he casually asked how her day was going. Soon he mentioned that Wes had hit a jump wrong while skiing and may have broken his leg. Dad was about 10 to 15 minutes behind the ambulance and knew it would be good for Wes to have Mom there when he arrived.

As anticipated Mom beat Dad to the hospital. She went in and found Wes. That is where she learned that Wes had damaged his neck and that he could not feel his legs or hands and that this was a lot more serious than a broken leg. My dad writes, " I was about two minutes away from the hospital when Karen called me. She started to cry as she explained it was not his leg but his neck and that he could not feel his legs, feet, arms and fingers. I answered in tears that i knew and just at that moment I pulled into the parking lot. I found her in the parking lot and had a lot of explaining to do. (I had forgotten to call the hospital and tell them not to tell my wife anything just let me tell her). I told Karen that I wanted to tell her everything when I first called, but that I knew she had a 45 minute drive to the hospital. If she knew how serious Wesley's injuries were she would not have been able to drive to the hospital through all those tears, driving to fast and being so worried. I hardly made it to the hospital with all my tears. Another reason I told her what I did was because I wanted to shield her as long as I could from news that I knew would inflict great pain, and fracture her heart. I felt our lives were about to change and that our youngest son was in a battle for his life and well being.. I didn't know how true those thoughts were until we walked arm in arm back into the hospital."

Dad goes on to write,"As reality hit, we suddenly yearned for yesterday. When a kiss from Mom or Dad would heal a smashed finger, when a big smile on Wesley's face was an indication that everything was right in the world. Wes is the youngest of five children. He was, is, and continues to be our miracle baby- now in more way than one."

As they entered the emergency room it was clear that Wesley was the number one priority of what seemed like the whole hospital staff. Everyone gave them worried and concerned looks as they realized who they were, Gary and Karen Greene. Wesley's parents. Mom and Dad felt like they were in shock as the medical staff voiced their concerns to them. They felt as if they would pass out.

"Currently it is 3:50 AM on Wednesday, February 8th, just 3.5 days after the accident. I am sitting here by Wesley's bed reflecting on the that have transpired since Saturday. The intensive care unit is relatively quiet, or as quiet as one could expect at this time of the morning in a part of the hospital that has many patience facing life threatening circumstances. I am watching Wes as he rotates sideways in a special bed made for injuries such as this. He has sufficient pain killers in his system to help him rest somewhat peacefully. As I reflect on the events of Saturday I am overwhelmed by his faith and trust that everything will turn out well."

I think everyone living in the area has heard that if you get injured, drive past Bozeman hospital and go straight to Billings. Our experience thus far has proved far opposite of what we had heard.

Mom and Dad were greeted by a Dr. Jutzy, a radiologist. He explained to them that the surgeon, Dr. Speth, was on his way. Dr. Speth had been skiing at Big Sky Resort, which is near Moonlight Basin, with his family when he was contacted about Wes. Dr. Jutzy said we would not find a better doctor if we looked all over the country than Dr. Speth. As he drove toward the hospital he was on the phone and already calling all the shots; ordering x-rays and some other tests.

My dad recalls how nice it was to not have to worry about filling out paperwork. In fact, it was a few days before they had to worry about anything. Wesley's care was the top priority and concern amongst the hospital staff. A close second was their concern from Mom and Dad. There kindness went far beyond what was expected.

If you have not yet figured it out, we are devout members of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.We are true followers of Jesus Christ and true believers in the power of prayer. Miracles were performed anciently in bible times and miracles still continue to be performed today. Since Saturday we have witnessed many miracles on Wesley's behalf.

On with the story, at the hospital Dad followed Wes to the radiology department where he would get some x-rays done. Wes did not have to wait at all to get them done. They had cleared everything so Wes would get the tests done as quickly as possible. As soon as the x-rays were available, Dr. Jutzy reviewed them with Mom and Dad. Dr. Speth had still not arrived but Dr. Jutzy wanted to make sure they were kept in the loop.

From the x-ray place they went to radiology. Dr. Jutzy had cleared everything so Wesley didn't have to wait for anyone. Wesley remained calm and trusting as they performed various tests on him. Dad stayed by his side the whole time wishing he could trade places with Wes.
After completing the x-rays and scans Wesley and Dad were escorted back to their room in the Emergency Room. Dr. Speth was to arrive any minutes. As they waited, Dr. Jutzy took Mom and Dad into his office to show him the x-rays and scans. My dad likens these events to incoming storm clouds. As the evening progressed, the storm clouds gathered. When they returned to Wesley's side, Dr. Speth's PA was looking over Wesley. Surgery needed to be done and the sooner, the better. The anesthesiologist asked Wes when the last time he ate was. Wesley was very blessed not to have eaten that morning but he only drank some chocolate milk, so the last time he ate had been Friday night. This means they didn't have to wait to begin the surgery.

Dr. Bozarth, the anesthesiologist, could not say enough good things about Dr. Speth. My dad writes, "We were again convinced that God was calling the shots and that everything was coming together for the making of miracles."

"Again, the storm clouds are gathering around us and blessings are getting ready to fall like rain."

At this point our Bishop, Scott Kiilsgaard arrived at the emergency room. His son, Jacoby, had been on the ski trip that day and text his dad right away that there had been a terrible accident and that Wesley was in the hospital. Bishop dropped everything he was doing and came to support our family. He would be there with us till 12:15AM.

Dr. Speth rushes in around 3:15 PM and apologizes for the wait. Dad writes, "Now the black clouds converge, the heavens open and Dr. Speth starts raining down his influence. The scans and x-rays have already been sent to his phone. He immediately takes control of the situation without hesitance. He is the man in charge and everyone waits for his influence.This is a man that makes thinks happen with God inspired confidence. As he quickly works and directs people, he tells us what we have already been told but brings it all together."

Dr. Speth goes on to explain the Wesley has fractured his neck at the C5 vertebrae and that it is broken horizontally and vertically. The horizontal break was squeezing the spinal cord and has traumatized it and that was why there was no feeling in his arms, hands, legs, and feet.

Dr. Speth had just informed my parents that Wesley's spinal cord was being squeezed by his fractured vertebrae. The next step was to straighten out his neck to prepare him for surgery. Dr. Speth explained the proceedure and said it would be very painful. I will explain this proceedure in a moment.

After Wesley heard how painful it would be to straighten his neck he asked my dad to remove my mom from the room and far enough away so that she would not be able to hear him if he cried out. My dad said, "I did as he requested thinking again his head is much more clear than mine. He is not thinking about himself when so much is happening to him and all around him. Wes is thinking about his mother's peace of mind and well being."

As they walked out into the waiting room they noticed that Lance and Gayla Sieler had arrived to show their support. Their son, Tanner, had been skiing with them earlier in the day and he asked them to go to the hospital and told them why. Lance and Gayla are good friends and neighbors to my parents and my family. Gayla was able to comfort my mom while Lance, Bishop, and my father went to give Wesley a Priesthood blessing.

To give Wes a blessing the three men gathered around him; he was still strapped to a board. My dad asked Bishop to give the blessing because my dad knew he would cry if he did and he did not want Wesley to see him cry.

Dr. Speth was now ready to start the proceedure to align the vertebrae in Wesley's neck. "Dr. Speth and his P.A. put a C-clamp in place. Both ends of the c-clamp were right above Wesley's ears with the 'c' part of the clamp above his head.  Dr. Speth injects a numbing drug above each ear, which he was told will only help a little with the pain. Then he tightens down the screws. It is very painfull in spite of the drugs. After the screws get past the skin and flesh they tap into the bone of the skull. Once the screws reach bone the pain ceases. At the head of the bed the back board is strapped to a pully system with a rope attached which is falling to the floor. The doctor attaches one end of the rope to the c clamp and then asks his PA to put 5 pounds of weight to the other end of the rope, that is towards the floor. The clamp, rope, and weight now start to pull on the skull which starts stretching the spine in Wesley's neck. An x-ray type machine is rolled in which seems to show real time pictures of how the spine in the neck is being pulled into alignment. Dr. Speth asks hi PA to add another 5 pound weight. I hear him exclaim that Wes' neck is being stubborn. He manipulates Wes' neck to try and align it... Wes was incredible as all this is done without any pain killer.

"As I was right next to the doctor holding wes' hand, I marveled that Wes did not cry out ( I felt like crying out). I know he was apprehensive and frightened about all that was taking place, what did all of this mean and how would it affect his life. None of the feeling had returned to his extremities. "

After everything was lined up properly, Dr. Speth added another 5 pounds, making it a total of 15 pounds hanging from Wesley's skull to keep it aligned properly.

After this procedure, Dr. Speth starts evaluating Wesley. He starts with Wesley's head and starts poking and pushing on different parts of his body and continually asking, "Can you feel this?" He works his way down, when he gets just above Wes' elbows Dr. Speth starts getting the answer 'no.' Dr. Speth then blocks Wesley's view and continues down Wesley's elbow, hands and fingers with a pin. There is no feeling. He does the same with his legs- down his thighs, knees, ankles, and toes. No feeling. Dr. Speth had a worried look in his eyes.

At this point, Dr. Speth has one more test to do. This last test will either give him hope or almost complete devastation, as it will tell if there is hope for some feeling to return. As he performs this test, my dad watches his eyes. "Instantly, without saying a thing, his eyes say everything, it is as if the light of hope completely left his eyes. I see sadness in his eyes. It lingers just a moment and then the professional in him kicks in. He tells me we need to get your wife and need to visit."

Dr. Speth takes my parents into a semi private room. He shares with them that their lives will never be the same, nor will Wesley's. For the second time that day, my parents felt sick, as if they would pass out.

"Wes was going to be a quadriplegic. He left no hope for anything else. He did not want us holding on to false hope. The sooner we realized the gravity of the situation and the reality of his injuries, the sooner we could come to terms with it and start helping Wes. Dr. Speth then moved on to the mechanical aspect of fixing his neck. He told us this would not bring back the feeling he had lost. It was just allow the structural portion of the spine to heal. The would remove a top portion of the hip bone and utilize that bone to help fuse the vertebrae in the neck together, along with pines and screws. The operation had two parts; to fuse the bones together in the front, then turn Wesley over and fuse the bones in the back."

My parents then went back to Wesley's bedside to check on him. They wondered if they should tell him what the doctor had just told them. They felt the spirit whisper to them that they should not tell him. Surgery prep began within seconds as the anesthesiologist came in. My dad recalls, "We touched our faces to his. We told him that this was a very serious operation, we were both choked with emotion. We had to be strong and project to Wes a sense of well being and great hope. We told him we had great faith and reminded him that he did as well. We told him we believed in miracles and assured him that Heavenly Father was involved in this. We all had great faith as we told him we loved him, understanding he was in the hands of God. He was asleep now and they rolled him out of the Emergency Room and into the O.R."

"Karen and I cried and held onto each other, we were surrounded by people who cared about us and loved us. We called our children and explained everything to them. Our kids wanted to drop everything they were doing and come. Trevor had already started driving up from Idaho. Ryanne called to say that they had already purchased a plane ticket and would be flying in the next night. Brittnee and Dallin wanted to come as well, but we told them to hold off and stay home to take care of their families."
My parents made their way to the operating room waiting area at about 4:15PM. Word got around pretty quickly about the accident. They began receiving phone calls and texts from family and friends all over. Before they knew it, the waiting room was filled with concerned friends. My parents felt bad that all these people had come to sit with them and that it was taking them away from their families. Every time my dad voiced this opinion he got the same response, "We are with family."

My parents were grieving and everyone who visited that night wrapped their arms around them and cried with them. They knew exactly what to say and do to give my parents the support and encouragement they needed.

Trevor, my little brother, arrived from Idaho around 8:00PM. He was surprised to see the number of people in the waiting room there to support our family. He added so much strength to my parents.

During the operation, a nurse would call every 2 to 3 hours to report on how the operation was going. My parents felt like they were sitting on pins and needles as they waited for those calls. Each call the nurses made told my parents the operation was going well. With so many people there to wait the 8 hours with my parents it makes the time go by faster than it would have had they been alone.

At 11:45 PM Dr. Speth came out into the waiting room. He informed everyone that the operation went better than expected. Because he had repaired the neck so well, Wes wouldn't have to wear any type of brace. Dr. Speth then reminded us that this surgery was only to fix the bones and not the spinal cord. It would not bring feeling or movement back to his limbs.

At that time my parents made their way to the ICU. My dad says, "We hugged all our dear ones who were waiting with us and sent them home. We will never be able to repay them for their kindness, concern, and prayers."

Dr. Speth had warned my parents about seeing Wes for the first time after surgery in the ICU. He would have a breathing tube down in throat and he would be sedated. He would also be in a strange bed. The bed was made for patients like Wesley. The head of the bed is about a foot higher than the foot of the bed. It tilts from side to side almost to the point that it looks like Wes was going to fall out. To keep him in place the bed was partitioned off each part of his body. Each limb was secured and his head was secured as well. Even though the bed was extremely uncomfortable it had major benefits:

-It prevented bed sores
-It keeps the body in constant motion
-It helps prevent blood clots
-It helps prolong muscle tone
-It helps prevent pneumonia by moving moisture in the lungs
-It keeps the blood circulating

Here is a picture that kind of shows the bed.

We were told that Wesley would have the breathing tube in for 4 to 6 days and he would be heavily sedated during that time.
My dad writes about walking into Wesley's room, "As we entered Wesley's room the doctor and nurses had prepared us by saying he would look terrible for a few days. As we saw him for the first time after the operation he looked beautiful to us. He was still alive and we had faith and hope on our side. Wes had IVs, drains, plastic lines, and cords everywhere. He was being monitored for everything that could possibly be tracked on the human body. His face was swollen and there was a large tube going down his throat taking oxygen to his lungs. His head was in a harness of steel that rocked sideways with his bed. We would walk from one side of the bed to the other as his bed moved so we could get a good look at him.

As we hugged him and pulled him close, he opened his eyes briefly and we were able to reassure him and tell him how much we loved him. He was very drugged to help him sleep and fight the pain. Karen and I watched him for 30 minutes and then we went into the ICU waiting room to sleep on chairs that pulled out into small beds. They had already been prepared by friends, complete with sheets, blankets, and pillows.

The last 12 hours had been the most exhausting and tragic in our lives. We lay in our beds and tried to get our brains to stop working. We silently prayed for our boy. When rest would not come for either of us Karen snuggled up to me in my bed. We held each other close, wondered about our boy's future, cried, and continued to pray in fitful rest.

Just holding Karen and enduring this together reminded me how bless I am to have my amazing wife and to be loved by her gives me added hope. We will make it through this together."

This next portion for tonight will be some notes by dad took as he pondered the situation. I am going to quote him almost exactly because I want you to see his thought process. He wrote this last Saturday, exactly one week after the accident.

"Exactly one week ago, Wes and I were headed to meet the group of boys from church and begin an adventure that would impact our family and all our dear friends; we do not know exactly what awaits us. We do KNOW that God is in control. This journey we are beginning will be exciting, challenging, and rewarding. It will refine all who are near. It will make us better and bring out the very best in all of us.

It teaches us in life that we must always look for the positive in every lesson, challenge, heartache and disaster. If we seek out the negative we are imprisoned and doomed to despair through a miserable existence. If we embrace the positive we are empowered and destine to be happy for the eternities.

I have been asked a few times why Wesley had to suffer when there are so many that are so undeserving. People who want to throw their lives away. In other words, why do devastating things happen to good people? I have pondered that thought for the last couple of days. I hope I can explain what I feel.

God did not cause Wesley's accident. He did not plan it out so that Wes or his family could learn important lessons.
Did God know about Wesley's accident? YES
Could he have prevented it? YES
Does God interfere with the choices we make? Very seldom, but it does happen.
If He interfered every time there was the potential for injury, death, or heartache we would fail to learn there are consequences for our actions. We would not learn wisdom or common sense. We would fail to learn from our mistakes or the mistakes of others. Without death, injury, or heartache, we, as a people, would be less compassionate, less understanding, and less able to serve others.

Wesley's accident has had a profound influence on hundreds and hundreds of people. IT has caused hundreds of people to hold their dear children closer, to thank their Heavenly Father for the safety of their little ones, to count blessings, to be united as a community, school, ward, and stake. It has moved us to be more compassionate, thoughtful, and empathetic. To judge less and love more. It has caused some to re-evaluate their lives and focus on what is most important and to draw closer to God.  It reminds us that as we serve others there is a great joy that comes to our hearts and often we forget about our own trials and heartaches. It teaches us the importance of our prayers and God's will. When tragedy strikes we look past ourselves and focus on doing everything in our power to help others. When we have these experiences it compels us to become what God would have us become.

So when I sometimes think how great it would be if God answered all of my prayers the way I want them answered, I am grateful he does not. He sees the big pictures and knows what he wants me to be and allows me to experience it, by not giving me everything I want.

We are praying for miracles and they have come and will continue to come. Just like the promise in Malachi- Prove me now here with, If I will not open you the window of heaven and pour you out a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.

I want you to know, that I know, because of the power of prayer God has already poured out these blessings and continues to do this for all the hundreds or thousands of people involved. All we need is the faith to see it.

If tragedy only happened to the bad, we would all assume they deserved it. When it happens to the good, we are compelled to help because of the light of Jesus Christ.

I am grateful God is focused on the big picture and by so doing gives me the opportunity to grow.

In the case of Wesley, He is truly aware and in control.

If it is to be that Wesley is handicapped all his life, he will always bring us great joy and happiness as he lives the gospel and as we celebrate his successes however big or small they are. Wes will always help bring others to Christ. I have learned through all of this so far that a hug, tears, and sincere feeling say more than words ever could. Some things are not meant to be explained."

In the early hours of Sunday morning Mom and Dad took took turns checking on Wes; making sure he was doing alright. They quickly discovered that the breathing tube down his throat was giving him a panic attack. He had the sensation that he was not getting any air or that the air going down his throat was not allowing him to breathe. This was very real and frightening for Wes and my parents. My mom would struggle with it so much that she often had to leave the room.

Huge tears would run down Wesley's cheeks and it was extremely obvious the thought he was dying. The breathing tube went down his throat towards his lungs and then was inflated so that it could not be pulled out. My dad would try to hold the tube at angles that would not bother him as much.

My dad said, "I would hold the tube and try to adjust it to help calm Wes down. On one such occasion a nurse informed me that I didn't have to worry because Wesley had been given enough drugs that he wouldn't remember a thing." I told the nurse that was not acceptable. Tell me, as a parent, how I am to get any comfort out of that. My son is panicked and thinks he is suffocating, his eyes are filled with tears. He can't move because of the accident and he is mouthing the words, out the side of his mouth, "Pull it out! Pull it out!" We felt helpless."

The tube stayed in Wesley's throat for a day and a half. It was removed on Monday afternoon. As challenging as that day and a half was, the whole family recognizes the miracle in getting it out so quickly. The doctor had told my parents before surgery that the the tube would remain for at least 3 to 6 days.

"For the day and a half, we would not take our eyes off our his eyes. We would wait for them to open in sheer terror and we would reassure, calm, and do all we could to make it bearable. If we had to leave for a few short moments to speak with a doctor or get a nurse, we would immediately come back and check for tears in his eyes. The other difficult part about the tube was that it made it near impossible to communicate with him. He could not speak and the tube made it difficult to read his lips. We had a blinking system for yes or no. We were able to establish if he had an itch and needed help by asking yes or no questions."

On Sunday morning my dad had to run home to get cleaned up. He was still wearing his ski clothing from the day before. While driving home my dad had these thoughts, "As I started driving home it is somewhat of a surprise that everything continues on despite what tragedies befall us. I got on the interstate and I was a lone. I couldn't help but think of Wes and that yesterday at this time he was happy, whole, and doing great. As I drove the tears started to fall...:" 

No comments:

Post a Comment