Here's the deal

On February 4, 2012 Wesley was in a skiing accident and broke his neck. He is 16 years old and is planning to graduate high school this year. There are not many 16 year old boys as amazing as he is. He is kind, thoughtful, and good date on his progress. I will make sure Wesley gets to read every comment this blog receives. My siblings and I will try to keep this blog current.

Friday, June 15, 2012


I know, it’s been a while since a real update. My parents and Wes have been extremely busy. It sounds like Wes is doing really well. Here is the update from my Dad:

June 13, 2012
I cannot believe how fast time flies when we’re having fun. Our days are
filled up and very busy. It is not unusual for us to leave the house at 7
or 8am  and get home around 5:00 pm and sometimes later.  Besides all of
his regular therapy Utah has an organization called TRAILS (Therapeutic
Recreation and Independent Lifestyles) which is sponsored by the
University of Utah Medical Center. Through his organization twice a week
in the late afternoon or evening Wes does hand cycling at Liberty Park in
Salt Lake. This month they have a swimming pool activity once a week that
Karen and I go with him to and help him swim. He usually has two pool
sessions a week as part of his physical therapy so this is an extra pool
activity that we can have fun with him in the water. Wes is always tired
in the evening because he is working so hard. He still has sensation and
feeling in his entire body but still no muscle control from his waste on
down to his legs.  His fingers move very little but with this little
movement he is learning to adapt. We have had problems with his powered
wheelchair which has caused us some challenging moments. When you are tied
to a wheel chair for all of your mobility is can be very frustrating when
there is a problem with the chair. Wes’s wheel chair weighs about 375
pounds and that is not with him in it. I complained to the manufactures
Rep that if this chair was a tire it would be coming through your front
window. They picked it up and made some repairs which only lasted a day
and then it started malfunctioning again. I told them Wes wanted a new
chair and that I was not taking any chances with this chair malfunctioning
again. We should receive the new chair in the next day or two.
Wes has progressed in strength so that his is now ready for a manual
wheelchair. We have been demoing one for the last few days and he
absolutely loves it. It is much smaller and it allows him to work his arms
and shoulders all the time. Today we will order his manual chair. It will
have two sets of wheels. One set is called manual assist which allows him
to push 25% and the special powered chairs push 75%. This allows him to
not over stress his muscles at first and build his muscles slowly and
strongly.  As he get stronger and stronger we will switch the wheels so
that he is pushing 100% of the time. With the special powered wheels his
new chair will weigh about 80 pounds. When we take the power wheels off
and put the 100% Wesley powered chairs it weighs about 23 pounds. We see
this as being a huge step in his progress.
Over the last couple of weeks Wes has made great progress. He is now
feeding himself about 100% of the time. The only exception is when we are
driving between therapies and we order him something he cannot eat with
his hands. He can pick up his own cup and drink on his own. He also does
about 80% of the working putting on his own shirt each morning.  He
continues to amaze his Occupational Therapist in doing new things each
time he meets with her.  Physical therapy is working hard to continue to
build his strength.
Last week was a great highlight. We left last Wednesday night after all
the therapies and drove to home in Montana. We spent the night  at home
and then picked up two of his close friends and drove to Great Falls,
Montana where we attended a 3 day, 5 stake youth conference with over 500
kids from the ages of 14 – 18. There were many different activities and
service projects. Our groups service project was to pick up trash at the
fairgrounds. Wes pushed himself around in the demo power assist chair for
3 hours pointing out small pieces of trash for those in our group to pick
up. There were two dances and Wes participated in those. He ate his own
meals and the priests from our ward took great care of him and stayed
right with him. At meal time they would get in line with him and carry his
tray. They were wonderful and he had a great time being with his friends.
We came home from the youth conference Saturday afternoon. Great Falls is
only about 2 ½ hours from Three Forks so we were home by 3:30. My brother
in-law Cliff and I got in a horseback ride which was spectacular and later
that evening Wes had a bunch of friends from our ward come over and they
played board games and hung out. It was as close to a normal Saturday
night activity that Wes would participate in as we could get before his
accident. It was so nice to have a house full of teenagers in the house,
we are so used to these types of activities and have missed them.
Sunday we were able to attend church in our ward and it was nice to be
home with family and friends.  It rained on Sunday so we sat at home and
enjoyed a nice fire in the fireplace and just relaxed and played some
games. My sister Tondi and some of her family came up and stayed at the
house and enjoyed the horses. She also brought 3 small grandkids with them
and we all had fun interacting with them.
Monday afternoon we loaded up and headed back to Utah, but not until
Cliff, Myself and our great friend Lance got another fine horseback ride
We continue to pray that Wes’s spinal cord will heal completely so the
nerves will trigger the muscles to move. We ask that in your family
prayers you will also pray for these things as well. Please include him in
the fast Sundays the first Sunday of each month. We know that great things
will continue to happen for Wes, we all need to exercise our faith. Great
Miracles will continue to happen.  We really appreciate everything,
everyone is doing. Thank You so much for you prayers.  Wes is having great
experiences at Neuroworx and UofU Medical Center.


Ryanne again…

So… I have been looking through old pictures that make me laugh.

I think all the boys in my family will hate me for putting this up, but it is worth it.


More pictures to come soon of Wes in a manual wheelchair and of his progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment