Here's the deal

On February 4, 2012 Wesley was in a skiing accident and broke his neck. He is 16 years old and is planning to graduate high school this year. There are not many 16 year old boys as amazing as he is. He is kind, thoughtful, and good date on his progress. I will make sure Wesley gets to read every comment this blog receives. My siblings and I will try to keep this blog current.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Story Part 6

My parents made their way to the operating room waiting area at about 4:15PM. Word got around pretty quickly about the accident. They began receiving phone calls and texts from family and friends all over. Before they knew it, the waiting room was filled with concerned friends. My parents felt bad that all these people had come to sit with them and that it was taking them away from their families. Every time my dad voiced this opinion he got the same response, "We are with family."

My parents were grieving and everyone who visited that night wrapped their arms around them and cried with them. They knew exactly what to say and do to give my parents the support and encouragement they needed.

Trevor, my little brother, arrived from Idaho around 8:00PM. He was surprised to see the number of people in the waiting room there to support our family. He added so much strength to my parents.

During the operation, a nurse would call every 2 to 3 hours to report on how the operation was going. My parents felt like they were sitting on pins and needles as they waited for those calls. Each call the nurses made told my parents the operation was going well. With so many people there to wait the 8 hours with my parents it makes the time go by faster than it would have had they been alone.

At 11:45 PM Dr. Speth came out into the waiting room. He informed everyone that the operation went better than expected. Because he had repaired the neck so well, Wes wouldn't have to wear any type of brace. Dr. Speth then reminded us that this surgery was only to fix the bones and not the spinal cord. It would not bring feeling or movement back to his limbs.

At that time my parents made their way to the ICU. My dad says, "We hugged all our dear ones who were waiting with us ans sent them home. We will never be able to repay them for their kindness, concern, and prayers.

Part 7 coming soon...

I'm sorry it is short today. I'm pretty tired. I think I say that everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment