Here's the deal

On February 4, 2012 Wesley was in a skiing accident and broke his neck. He is 16 years old and is planning to graduate high school this year. There are not many 16 year old boys as amazing as he is. He is kind, thoughtful, and good date on his progress. I will make sure Wesley gets to read every comment this blog receives. My siblings and I will try to keep this blog current.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Update from Sunday

Greetings Team Wesley,

I just will just come right out and say it. I have not been a very good blogger lately. I will continue posting but I make no promises on how many posts a day. Besides, I need info from my dearest family in AZ and pictures. I LOVE getting pictures. Luckily, I have some for you today. Prepare yourselves: My brother is a stud.

Before giving you the long awaited update I feel like I need to do a 'Random Ryanne Randomness' because, let's face it, you are all reading what I put on this blog so I think you should know a little bit about me. In little doses, of course. So, here it is, on Friday I ate oyster for the first time in my life and I have no real opinion on whether I liked it or not. It was fried, so it was rubber and odd textured but it had a nice Italian sauce on it. Will I ever eat it again? Possibly. Do I crave it? Not so much.

Alright, alright... let's get back to Wes. Sunday was a great day for him... no therapy. It was a day of rest. He has slept pretty well the last few nights. The nurses come in every 2-3 hours to turn him, which prevents bed sores. Other than that, he sleeps like a gem. Which means, my mother and father get to sleep as well.

Because he is still having some issues with clearing his lungs out, respiratory staff wakes him up early for treatments. Luckily, my sister, Brittnee, showed up early as well toting a box of Dunkin Donuts with her little oogle-eyed children in tow. Wesley was excited to see everyone. He was also excited to eat non hospital food. The donuts were delightful. Unfortunately, he was only able to eat 2 out of the 12 because his 3 nieces and 1 nephew felt the need to finish them off.

Because Wes did not have go through the torture of therapy on Sunday, he was able to improve his wheelchair skills. He went on a walk through the hospital with the children and everyone else. Once they were in a more open area the 2 1/2 year old nephew jumps in front of him and says, "Can't catch me!" At this point Wesley discovered that he could, in fact, kick the speed up a notch on his wheelchair. He then spent some time chasing the nieces as well. I'm pretty sure the 2 year old nephew thinks the wheelchair is his. He kept pointing to it while saying, "Mine! Mine! Mine!" Wesley was really feeling daring and gave the 2 year old a ride on the wheelchair. Wesley is his hero. Brittnee supposedly got this on video but can't figure out how to send it to me. Once she does, I will share. While Britt was filming Wesley tried to run over. Her frantic yells and running put a smile on his face.

My Grandma and Grandpa Greene came to visit with Wes. He always enjoys their visits. Later in the evening Grandma Benson came to visit him with food. For those of you who don't know, my Grandma Benson makes the best food ever. Wes got permission to go outside with Grandma and my parents to eat some dinner she brought.

Sunday turned out to be a lot of fun and thankfully, Wesley was able to get some much needed rest. He constantly misses his Montana family but is glad to have so much support in Arizona.

Now for the fun part... the pictures.

Just sittin' back relaxin'

Just waiting to race someone.... or relaxing again

Getting his blood pressure taken while practicing his sitting skills.

Some more learning how to sit
 Here are a few pictures of his room...

 I had issues uploading this picture... that poster is a picture of his school on Wesley Greene Day
 Wow, he has a cluttered window sill. It's ok though because it is full of a lot of cool things; a cactus, Joshua 1:9 framed, Sacramento Kings hat signed by Jimmer, a duct tape NEFF hat made by his friends, a BYU basketball signed by the team, an alligator head from his favorite sister (me), and a picture of Christ.

Mom and Wes just chillin'
Well my friends, I hope everyone is doing well. I hope I have enlightened you properly on Wesley's progress.

I should probably go to bed now because we get up here at 4:30 AM. I will post part 9 of my Dad's journal entry soon.



  1. Ryanne, thanks again for all of the time you put into these updates. I really appreciate it.

    Wesley, I am continually inspired by you every time I read an update on your blog. Keep up the great work!!

  2. Wesley and family ~ unbeknownst to you or your family, my family in Great Falls is following your progress (which is unreal for this short a time period~ way to go!) and so is the ward in Lewistown, Montana. Actually my family is spread to Billings, Bozeman, and two daughters and their families live in Missouri. We add you to our prayers and follow along with our blog story. The winter up here continues to befuddle us, as it is warm enough (not by Arizona standards) to sit outside in the sun one day, and the next it is blowing and snowing. We have a ranch and we are beginning to have calves. My, they are so cute! Wish you could come help us keep the coyote population down. I met your mom through our Stake's desire to put on a 5-stake Youth Conference as good as your mom did last year. She gave us all the information she and your dad kept... and it's been oh-so-helpful. Make this Tuesday a great day and keep fighting! You are a valiant young man who has much to offer the rest of the world as we learn from your courageous fight. God Bless You and your dear Family. Sandee Neal, Ronnie Neal, Summer Neal, Kate McKamey, Jordan Jensen and Brooke Templeton