Here's the deal

On February 4, 2012 Wesley was in a skiing accident and broke his neck. He is 16 years old and is planning to graduate high school this year. There are not many 16 year old boys as amazing as he is. He is kind, thoughtful, and good looking.to date on his progress. I will make sure Wesley gets to read every comment this blog receives. My siblings and I will try to keep this blog current.



Monday, February 6, 2012

Wes, The Champ

Today we prayed for breathing. For Wes to make steps forward with his breathing.

Today has been quite a day for my dear brother. They started out the morning by inserting a pick line in his arm. After a few test, they were able to remove the breathing tube. Thank goodness. Poor guy. That breathing tube was rather annoying. For a few hours after removing the tube he coughed nonstop. He has to be assisted in coughing. Generally, my dad helps him. He pushes upward on his diagram to help.

One of the first things he asked for once his breathing tube out was a blessing. It was a beautiful and peaceful blessing. Two bishops in the stake were here to assist.

Wes was able to hear his siblings on speaker phone today and said a few words to them.

He has done a few sessions of forcing air into his lungs to get them to expand. They put a mask on his face and it blows air into his mouth. It is not very pleasant but it seems to help with the coughing.

There were a few minutes today where he joked with us. He clarified that he didn't really like the Giants but he REALLY REALLY doesn't like the Patriots. So he was glad they won. He also told us to contact Chik Fil A and tell them that he would heal better if he could eat their food.

His neck has been in a lot of pain today. They did some serious work on it during surgery so I suspect it will be hurting for quite some time.

He has been able to chew on ice, but that is it.

As far as feeling in his body... he can kind of feel touching. He can feel us touch him on his arms, hands, legs, and feet. He has no control of his arms and legs. He likes us to move and stretch his arms and legs. He likes his hands laid flat on his bed.

Wes had so many visitors today. Some of his friends that were skiing with him were able to come back into the ICU to see him. One family brought him a huge stuffed animal moose. We have been blessed with great friends who feed us and write us encouraging messages.

We love you all. I will try to update more during the day tomorrow than I did today. It's tough though because here is always something to do or someone to talk to and keep updated.


Dear Web,

My heart aches. I wish I could help take the pain away. You are amazing. Your faith is so strong. I love you and I told you that today. You told me you loved me too. I liked that today. I got to hold your hand a lot, kiss your cheek, stretch you out and tickle your head. I hope you sleep a little bit tonight.

I love you,
Ry

12 comments:

  1. Hey Wes,
    We are thinking about you all day long. Cayson was very sad to hear that you are hurt and asks in his prayers that you will be able to feel better and play with him at the cabin again. We can't wait for you to get transferred down here so we can go visit you. You are one amazing young man. I am so impressed by your strength, faith and heart. You have shown so many admirable qualities in this most difficult time for you. We love you and are praying for your recovery and for comfort for you and your family. Whatever Heavenly Father's plan is I know he will comfort you and help carry this load for you. I know He is with you every moment!! We love you!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Wesley doesn't remember me since I hung out with Brittnee when he was just a little kid, but I wanted to let you all know how much you have been on my mind since I heard about the accident. I am so sorry Wesley and your family have to endure all of this, and I am amazed by Wesley's faith and courage. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you can feel the love of those around you and the love of our Savior at this extremely difficult time.
    Aubry (Holt) Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of Ryannes and what she has told me you are a pretty amazing guy. Just from reading her posts I see that you are a person with great faith and inspiring to all of us. I have been thinking and praying for all of you constantly throughout the day. You are an amazing family and have the strength to get through this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I'm a friend of Brittnee's. Wes, I'm looking forward to meeting you when you come down to Phoenix. Ryanne, kudos to you for keeping this blog. Not only is it helpful in keeping friends and family updated, but it will someday be a family treasure.

    My husband broke his neck when he was 18. I wish someone had kept a journal (not a blog--we didn't really know what the internet was back then!) that could be shared with others. Brigham remembers his accident very clearly, but I know there are plenty of things he doesn't remember about his first days in the hospital and the outpouring of love and support he and his family received. I would like to have that for our children to read someday. Wes' future family will thank you for your efforts.

    Hang in there, everyone! It sounds like things are going well, and you're definitely not short on positive attitudes or prayers. Wes, tons of people love you, even people (like me) who don't even know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cousins in Las Vegas are praying for you all! Sending love and healing to all. Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wesley,
    I am thinking about you and praying for your recovery. I know you are a strong, determined young man and that you will recover.
    Elise Klohe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wesley and family,

    Just want you to know that you have friends in Pocatello that are fasting and praying for a miracle in your behalf. You have touched our hearts with your faith and goodness! Be strong and of courage-you definitely have what it takes to overcome any obstacle in your path!

    Hugs,
    The "Pocatello" Price family- Rdale, RaeLyn, Nicole, Tiffany and Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from Utah! I own a Chick-fil-A franchise here, and a friend told memos Wesleys accident and his love for Chick-fil-A. Well of course we would love to help motivate Wesley to get better so we can provide him with more Chick-fil-A than he could ever eat! Please call me at 801-755-1821. I have friends in AZ and we would love to surprise Wesley if and when appropriate! We are praying for his strength and continued recovery, and for your whole family! Becky Pickle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the updates! I read them every day and I am so happy that Wes is making such good progress. Keep it up Wes, my family and I are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wesley, the entire Roberts family is praying for you and your family. We think about you constantly and know that Heavenly Father is mindful of you all and love you all so much. Ry, thank you for keeping us up to date. We love you.
    Shane and Miriam and the rest of the crew

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since Ryanne says she reads the comments out loud I thought I'd provide a little joke for the day. Here it is... What is the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Everyone can roast beef but not everyone can pea soup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wesley, Your Grandmother, Verna, is married to my Uncle Chuck. I just want you to know that people you don't even know are praying for you. Early this morning when I was praying for you these two verses were put before me and I thought I had better share. "Do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am the Lord your God and I will strengthen and help you." and "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." Hang in there, God is with you.

    ReplyDelete